Monday, December 17, 2007

Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

1 butternut squash coarsely chopped
toss with 2 Tblsp olive oil to coat well
roast at 450 degres on cookie sheet 20-25 minutes, til edges are brown

In stockpot, saute 2 diced medium onions in 2 Tblsp olive til translucent (@5 min)
Add:
2 Tblsp dried thyme ( or 1 Tblsp ground dried sage, if you are out of thyme and your fresh thyme is under 11 inches of snow!)
2 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
the roasted squash, of course
2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
2 cups water
1/2 tsp. sea salt (skip this if your stock is already salted)
Bring to a boil and cook until squash and apple are very soft (@20 min)
Remove for heat and cool til you can handle it safely. (I put my pot in a snow bank for the day)
Puree with hand blender or food processor.
Serve hot or cold. Serves 8 -12.

This was a lovely Sunday night supper with a salad, bread, and "all natural sweet apple chicken sausages" (because I must have meat!). I got the recipe from a nutrition newsletter my co-worker brings into the office. As you may know, I am ever in search of low-sodium soups.
It turned out quite thick and I was tempted to thin it with more diluted vegetable stock, and I would recommend thinning it if you need more servings. As thick as it was, it would also make a lovely side dish. The original recipe was for half of this but if I am going to bother to cut up a butternut squash, I want to use the whole thing. Besides, I like to make mass quantities and freeze. Hugs to all... Mom LBB

1 comment:

Heather said...

yum!!!!